14 May, 2012

A Lazy week.

I have to admit I have been exceptionally lazy this last week. Something about the tropics and the way it just slows you down.




It doesn't hurt that I have been staying in the Sheraton Mirage Resort in Port Douglas for 3 days. Nice resort worth a look. It's huge and the pool just goes on for ever. Actually it's several pools. The place is getting a bit dated but it's very nice still.  The resort is right on eight mile beach.  This beach is very nice but a tease at the same time.  You can't really go in the water here except for a very short window of three months a year. Six if you stretch it.

Interesting Fact

The Japanese bombed the Shire of Port Douglas.  I did not know this.  I knew they bombed Darwin.  I was unaware they bombed here.   

More interesting times ahead.

Well I'm about to embark on the most challenging portion of the trip. It's rather imposing. I'm going to take it one day at a time. I'm about to start the centre phase of the journey. This is where I go from Port Douglas into the centre and then down to Uluru then back up to Darwin. From Port Douglas to Uluru is 2800km alone. And there is not much between these two points. I'm allocating about 3 weeks to cover the track all the way to Darwin. Which works out to around 5000km. Which is about perfect as the bike will need a service and new tires by then. The tires are rated to have a longer range than that but I have a harder chance to change them after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment