01 May, 2012

Blasting my way to Rockhampton

Sorry No photos today.

Today was a long long ride.  Not because of distance but because of the road.   8 hours in the saddle for a 4 hour trip.

The road up to Rockhampton is basically under a huge amount of construction.  Recently a major push in the area for mining.  What I'm not sure.  The government is turning the PoC ( Peace of Crap, TM Mark Daku ) highway into a proper split dual lane each way 110km road.  There was easily 150 km of continuous construction.  With all the construction comes very impatient people.  There were 4 major accidents being cleaned up.  One so bad  it resulted in a full 45km detour.  

The ride was however spectacular for it's views.  The table lands up here are amazing.  I am definitely checking these out tomorrow.  I think I'll set up here for a few days and look around.

However the big surprise of the day was a double trailer truck I was following. It was a bunker of a truck. This was the most well built truck I have seem. At one of the frequent stops in the middle of no where I looked up and read a very imposing sign. ( I did try and take a photo but the stops were not long enough. ) It read, "In case of accident call 000, or Army bomb disposal, or SES" All the numbers were listed. Then below that was Truck contains, Ammonium Nitrate. OK The bomb that blew up one of the American Secret service builds had a drum of the stuff in it. This was tons and tons and tons of it. After this I faded back from the truck. Then I did some mental math gazinkas and realised there was no safe distance.
View Larger Map
So I'm now in a place call Kinka beach at the Island View Caravan Park.  Very nice little Caravan park, bit pricey.  But it a good spot.  I even have a pet Peacock, male with all the feathers.  Also a ton of bush turkeys about.  Definitely not letting any food out of the tent tonight.  

Tomorrow I plan on taking some photos. Lets see what I can come up with. I also plan to see a Croc farm and possibly a Mountain view look out. The trip is starting to get interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment